Wednesday, May 12, 2010


Reflections of a grandmother

I see you, my dear
In your daughter’s face
In her playful pranks, i see your smiles
I hear your songs in her chuckling rhymes
And miss you more, when i see her more

My wrinkled hands sew the frills
For frocks i made for you and for her
I combed your wavy hair, but now
Curly locks await my brush

Flowers i loved but i loved you more
Had i known that you’ll go unsaid,
I would have done without my flowers
I never knew that the bouquet you’ve bought
For me, would be your fragrant wreaths.

Down these steps you went unasked
Leaving your kid with her faithful dolls
And fell a prey to the motors rage
The life in you hugging the tyres
The dolls still give her solace
More than you or me or vague memories
She asks for her mother, i bring her to you
You’ll smile at her from your cozy frame
She’ll plant a kiss on your smiling cheeks
Over the glass and the pastel hues
And rush to her dolls to share her tears

My leaves are sure to wilt very soon
I’ll learn to love your betraying flowers
And take your hand and share all joys
My grand child is safely snuggled in her bed
Her faithful dolls still warming her dreams
Sleeps, a reflection of you my dear.
She’ll soon have two to share her kiss.

(Musings of a grandmother whose daughter died. She is now the guardian of her grandchild. She laments over what will happen to her after her death, which she feels is fast approaching)

No comments:

Post a Comment